Ynysybwl is a former mining village with a community of about 5,500 nestled in a small valley between the Rhondda and Cynon valleys. The landscape surrounding the village, and leading from it into the Llanwonno forest, is our greatest asset.
The Vision is of sustainable tourism and local engagement with the amenities of the village and the landscape.
Through Create Your Space funding, Ynysybwl is being re-imagined as a place that is a green, sustainable and highly networked valley with an emphasis on community owned assets, businesses and activities – a Vision for the Valley. This necklace of amenities and facilities will bring massive benefits to the existing community and will act to encourage more visitors and tourists, so supporting our local economy.
The underpinning themes of the Vision are; Volunteering and Stewardship; Engagement and Involvement; Training and Work Experience; Job and Business Opportunities; Digital Inclusion and Healthy Activities.
These are being delivered through the creation of a much needed community hub, development of social enterprises, refurbishment and upgrade of a treasured local facility – Butchers Pool, a visitor centre in the forestry, encouraging the use of outdoor spaces through improvement of existing forestry pathways, promotion and raising of awareness of the existing environment and its biodiversity.
The Vision is being delivered through a strong partnership of community organisations and local businesses who sit on the Vision Steering Group these include:
- Ynysybwl Regeneration Partnership
- Daerwynno Outdoor Activity Centre
- Roberttown Runners
- Ynysybwl Pony Club
- Friends of Butchers Pool
- TR Computer Solutions
- Kip Macgrath Pontypridd
There are further working links with the community through:
- The Community Council
- Ynysybwl Enterprise Partnership
- Ti a Fi
- Our Place
- Local GP surgeries
- Allotment societies
- Clydach Vale Ramblers
- Wales and West Housing
- Trerobert Primary School
- Pontypridd High School
- Successful Community Asset Transfer of Butchers Pool from RCTCBC.
- Completion of the capital development/refurbishment of Butchers Pool, paddling pool in readiness for the Summer opening period.
- Paths and Trails have been agreed with Natural Resources Wales, these include, cycling path, bridle way and running route. The first Village walk “the Fish Ponds Walk” has been launched with support from students of the University of S. Wales.
- The transformation of YRP offices into an information centre / mini-community hub including a mini-museum, book-swap, information boards for the local activities and the paths and trials.
- A community garden has been developed with the support of the New Road Allotment Society and this has become a base for Ynysybwl Mens’ Shed.
- Through funding secured from NRW a social prescribing project has been delivered which has developed new activity groups including Ynsybwl Strollers and Mini Strollers – walking groups for absolute beginners,
- Our walking rugby team – the Ynysybwl Bullets – have competed at a tournament held in the Principality Stadium.
- Delivery of the Forestry Vision Centre with completion scheduled for May 2020
- Continued work on the potential development of the Hub site.
- Delivery of a Youth Enterprise building that can be the catalyst for further enterprises.
- Delivery of three new signposted routes in the forestry and further Village walks launched.
- Development of digital presence through a new website and a Vision app.